What is the green best friend forever? Bicarbonate of Soda, Bi-carb soda or Carb soda as it is mostly known, a fizzing white powder.
It has so many uses around the home and is cheap, especially if you buy it in bulk from say, a swimming pool chemicals provider or your dry goods bulk store. Love the stuff!
If you are wondering what it is:
Bi-carb Soda is made from soda ash (or sodium bicarbonate) which occurs naturally in our environment. The soda ash is mined and then refined to form a safe, pure product you can trust.
Just as it does in its natural form, Bi-carb Soda helps regulate pH – that is, keeps substances balanced in terms of acidity or alkalinity. Hence its high performance in neutralising, cleaning and deodorizing in many situations around the house.
Baking soda is now being used in the manufacturing of glass, paper, soaps, and in detergents and toothpaste.
In the baking industry it helps rising by trapping the carbon dioxide in ingredients.
How to use it:
As a paste: Combine 3 parts of Bi-carb Soda with 1 part of water. Adjust for your desired consistency.
As a solution: Dissolve 3 tablespoons of Bi-carb Soda in 1 litre of warm water.
For wiping: Apply Bi-carb Soda directly to a damp sponge or cloth.
For sprinkling: Sprinkle directly from the packet.
Remember to test for colourfastness first and rinse afterwards with water where appropriate.
Here is our comprehensive list of uses for bi-card soda:
- Take a pinch dissolved in water to relieve indigestion or the effects of over-eating.
- Throw a cup full into your swimming pool occasionally to balance the chemicals. Always use this to scrub your pool tiles as it just dissipates into the water with no ill effects.
- Used as a mouthwash, Bicarbonate of Soda will also relieve the pain of ulcers pain.
- Wash plastic food and drink containers, thermos bottles and coolers with Bicarbonate of Soda and water to get rid of any residue or odours..
- Wash garbage cans with Bicarbonate of Soda. You can tip the water onto your lawn.
- Wash glass or stainless steel coffee pots (but not aluminium) in a soda solution ( 3 tbsp. Bicarbonate of Soda to 1 litre water).
- Add a tablespoon of Bicarbonate of Soda to half the amount of your regular shampoo; rinse thoroughly. It softens the water and makes it work better.
- Add one-quarter cup Bicarbonate of Soda to your washing machine. It whitens socks and has the same effect on dirty clothes as those expensive chemical stain removers.
- Clean marble-topped furniture with a solution of 4 tablespoons of Bicarbonate of Soda in 1 litre of warm water. Leave to active, then rinse off till the streakiness goes.
- Add one teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda to one-half glass warm water, and swish through teeth for a refreshing mouthwash.
- Windburn: moisten some Bicarbonate of Soda and apply directly as a paste.
- Use in cooking – Over the years bakers realized that they could make breads with it as it traps carbon dioxide in the ingredients of the bread enabling it to rise.
- Add ½ cups or more of Bicarbonate of Soda to your bath water to soften your skin.
- Add three tablespoons Bicarbonate of Soda to a basin of warm water and soak feet in the solution.
- Add to very cold water to remove the “gamey” taste from wild game and soak the meat for 30 minutes. Rinse then cook. Or add a pinch to the cooking stock.
- Add to water to soak dried beans to make them more digestible and prevent gas.
- Add two full tablespoons Bicarbonate of Soda to the usual amount of detergent you use when washing dishes in the sink.
- Run your empty dishwasher with a ¼ cup of Carb Soda to give it a monthly refresher.
- Aids in treatment of warts and moles. Put a paste of it on each spot.
- Treat allergic reactions to creams or medication by rubbing dry Bicarbonate of Soda on the area. This also works for heat rash, insect bites, rashes and poison ivy.
- Use a paste of it on pimples overnight and they will feel a lot better in the morning. The paste won’t damage your sheets.
- Freshen the smell of your house by using Baking/Bi-Carb Soda mixed with a little of your favourite essential oil. Sprinkle the mixture on the carpet, wait an hour and then vacuum. (1 cup soda to 10 drops essential oil.)
- Bicarbonate of Soda comes in really handy for softening hardened paint brushes. It saves buying new brushes every time. Soak brushes overnight in a litre of hot water, a cup of Bicarbonate of Soda and a quarter cup of Vinegar.
- Bicarbonate of Soda will also put out fires in clothing, fuel, wood, upholstery and rugs. Be sure to keep an extra box by your stove in case of grease or electrical fire. Scatter the powder by the handful to safely put it out.
- Bicarbonate of Soda sprinkled into your clothes dryer will keep clothes fresh smelling.
- Bicarbonate of Soda, sprinkled inside your rubber gloves will make then easier to put on.
- Bee sting relief : use a poultice of Bicarbonate of Soda and water.
- Clean your shower with Carb Soda. It can be used on EVERY surface. You can also clean the toilet and the tiles and the mirror!
- Clean oven racks by placing a towel in bath tub fill with very hot water 1 cup washing powder, 1 cup Bi-Carb Soda and place oven racks to soak overnight, next day rinse clean and wipe and dry.
- Clean a microwave oven.
- Clean a refrigerator. As well, keep a box full on the shelf at the back of the fridge to absorb smells.
- Clean a stainless steel sink.
- Clean and deodorise a cutting board.
- Clean baby bottles, nipples, and bottle brushes.
- Clean chrome on your car with a paste of it.
- Clean combs and brushes by boiling water in a saucepan, adding a cup of Bicarbonate of Soda and boil for 10 minutes, Rinse clean with cold water
- Clean dirt and grime from hands with the dry powder. Keep a packet in the laundry for this.
- If you are killing your own poultry when you get to the feather plucking bit, add 1 tsp. of soda to the boiling water before plunging the chook in. The feathers will come out far easier and flesh will be clean and white.
- Clean high chairs, car seats, strollers, and plastic mattress protectors and any of your baby’s toys without worrying about chemical residue.
- Clean kitchen food processors by putting Bicarbonate of Soda in and whizzing it for a minute. Hold the lid down!
- Clean vegetables and fruit with Bicarbonate of Soda. Sprinkle in water, soak and rinse the produce.
- Clean your silver with paste of Bicarbonate of Soda. For silver pieces without raised patterns or cemented-on handles: place the silver on aluminium foil in an enamel pot. Add boiling water and 4 tbsp. Bicarbonate of Soda. Let stand, rinse and dry.
- Clears up stuffy noses and itchy eyes. Use to inhale in vapouriser.
- Coffee and tea stains in cups and glasses will disappear with paste of Bicarbonate of Soda and water.
- Cover the bottom of the cat litter box with one-quarter inch Bicarbonate of Soda then add the litter.
- De-grease and clean barbecue grills.
- Use as a soaker for baby nappies. ½ cup to a bucket.
- Deodorise anything you can wash out eg. Bin, with a solution.
- Deodorises shoes or sports shoes with the powder. Put a ping pong ball sized amount in each shoe tied into the foot of old panti-hose. Or, in the evening, sprinkle Bicarbonate of Soda inside shoes to eliminate odours. Shake out in the morning.
- Dust dry Bicarbonate of Soda under arms to prevent sweating and to absorb odour.
- Flush one cup Bicarbonate of Soda down the toilet once a week. Bicarbonate of Soda helps maintain proper pH and alkalinity, controlling sulphide odours.
- For a badly-burnt pan with a thick layer of black: pour a thick layer of Bicarbonate of Soda directly onto the bottom of the pan, then sprinkle on just enough water so as to moisten the soda. Leave the pot overnight, and then put it out in the sun for a day. Next day after that the cinders should all flake off and then just scrub it clean.
- Deodorise your microfibre dish cloths with Bicarbonate of Soda.
- Get temporary relief for bladder infection till you can seek medical attention. A pinch in a half a glass of warm water every couple of hours.
- If your baby vomits milk after feeding, moisten a cloth, dip it in Bicarbonate of Soda and dab the stain. The sour milk odour will go away.
- Keep your drains clean and free-flowing by putting 4 tablespoons of baking soda in them each week. Flush the baking soda down with hot water.
- Maintain your septic tank. Flush a packet down the toilet every year.
- Making Play Dough: combine 1 1/4 cups water, 2 cups Bicarbonate of Soda, 1 cup cornstarch. Label and keep in the fridge. Don’t eat it!
- Keep a pack in the laundry basket to minimise the smell of dirty laundry.
- Mosquito bites & bee stings, ticks & blisters: use a poultice of Bicarbonate of Soda and Vinegar.
- Neutralise battery acid from car and cleans the mess up.
- Neutralise vomit odour. Sprinkle dry powder over before cleaning up. Wash it. Then add more powder to the site.
- Powdery Mildew on plants can be eliminated : To one bucket of water add 7 teaspoons (20 grams) of Bicarbonate of Soda and sufficient laundry soap to make a rich lather. Stir the mixture to dissolve the Bicarbonate of Soda powder. Spray both sides of the affected leaves. And Black Spot can be eliminated : To 10 litres (USA=21pints, UK=17½ pints) of water add 1 tablespoon (USA/UK=3 teaspoons) of bicarbonate of soda, 1 tablespoon of soap detergent and 2 tablespoons of white oil. Stir the liquid to completely dissolve the bicarbonate powder. Before applying the mixture first water the rose’s foliage to remove any dust and allow the leaves to dry. NEVER spray in full sunshine or in the heat of the day as the leaves may burn, instead wait until early evening.
- Plain Baking Soda is a gentle abrasive that cleans like the strongest toothpaste. Apply Bicarbonate of Soda to a damp toothbrush, brush as usual, and rinse.
- Putting 2 tbsp. of Bicarbonate of Soda in your baby’s bath water will help relieve nappy rash.
- Relief from cold sores. Rub a little paste of Bicarbonate of Soda and water on it.
- Relief temperature of feverish children with cool bath with Bicarbonate of Soda.
- Relieves razor burn.
- Relieves thrush. Sit in the bath made with an added cup of Carb Soda to get you by till you can get to the doctor.
- Sprinkle on a wet cloth to remove crayon marks from walls or wallpaper.
- Remove dead insects from a car or truck windscreen without scratching.
- Removes onion and garlic smell from hands.
- Repel rain from windshield. Put blobs of baking Bicarbonate of Soda on a dampened cloth and wipe windows inside and out.
- Replaces salt loss when you have diarrhoea. Put a teaspoon in a glass of weak lemon cordial.
- Soak your shower curtains in water and Bicarbonate of Soda to clean them.
- Sprinkle bit of dry Bicarbonate of Soda in ashtrays to prevent smouldering. It keeps them smelling nicer. Better still – don’t smoke!
- Stop your steel wool pads from rusting after use place in jar of water with Bicarbonate of Soda in.
- Test to see if Baking Soda is effective add a teaspoon of vinegar or lemon juice to a pinch of baking soda. If it bubbles, the baking soda is still effective.
- To make your own baking powder, stir and sift together 2 parts of Cream of Tartar to 1 part baking soda and 1 part corn flour.
- To relieve sunburn: use a paste of Bicarbonate of Soda and water.
- Use to remove melted plastic bread wrapper from toaster. Dampen cloth and make a mild abrasive with Bicarbonate of Soda.
There are probably lots more uses for this magical product! You can gradually work your way around the house and substitute Carb Soda for expensive injurious chemicals and you will soon see an impact on your purse and the state of your lungs.