Using bottled water is an ever increasing problem – and being Australians we all realise how devastating drought is to many people around the country.
Consumption of bottled water in Australia is approximately 600 million litres annually, and to sell this much bottled water, the industry will use approximately 1 billion litres of water each year. Clearly we are using more water to create bottled water!? Not a good thing at all!
Unfortunately not every town and city here has put in place the “No Bottled Water” Policy like Bundanoon, NSW but we can do our part too – here are some comprehensive tips to make sure you remember to avoid buying Bottled Water!
- If you are not a fan of the taste of water on it’s own (yes, some people actually do not enjoy the taste of water) you can easily add a couple of slices of lemon or orange to the bottom of the glass, muddle them with the back of a spoon and add some chilled water and ice cubes. It will add a tasty and healthy zest to make the water more palatable.
- Another idea if you are buying bottled fruit juice, we all know how expensive this option is, to make it last longer and to also reduce the sugar is to dilute each glass. Add 1/3 of fruit juice and fill the rest of the glass with water. Again you will be drinking more and more water with this technique and you will also increase the amount of juice you have. Most fruit juices are very high in apple juice which is great watered down and this is also a great tip if you wish to give your children a tasty treat instead of water alone.
- If you are not a fan of the flavour of your tap water as the pipes in your home have added a distinct taste, simply boil the water and then store in the fridge in a reusable glass jug. This will remove some of the taste and impurities and chilled water is extraordinarily refreshing on both a hot and cold day.
- If children do not like to drink water from the tap, try chilling glasses in the fridge and making up some ice cube trays with water and fruit juice or pieces of fruit (such as blueberries, raspberries, orange sections etc) combination. This way, they can have a fun chilled glass with colourful ice cubes which will make drinking water more fun than soft drink or bottled water.
- Make an investment in refillable travel water bottles. Many companies now sell reusable plastic or aluminium drink bottles in a wide range of colours and styles to suit the kids and all family members. These can be filled with water from the tap and stored in the fridge ready for any outing.
Klean Kanteen is made of stainless steel and this great brand of bottle comes in a huge range of shapes, colours and caps available. They can be purchased online or they have a list of international dealers on their site. The colours are fantastic and I love the pink Breat Cancer Support colours!
Sigg Bottles are a great and very durable bottle made from aluminium and they are well known to last 10 – 20 years!
- Using a tap filter in the home will also increase you drinking tap water instead of buying bottled water. The filters usually fit onto your tap in the kitchen and may also come with a filter water jug for the fridge. There are many options for this kind from buying at stores or even on eBay.
- If you have the money and the desire you can purchase a Ovopur’s Ceramic Water Filter.
Up to 11 liters of tap water is filtered and revitalized with the reusable, multilayer Aquacristal filter cartridge, which removes chemicals and organic pollutants. The Results? Delicious! And the ceramic vessel looks irresistible, too.