We are all doing our bit for the environment & cutting meat out of our diet makes a huge impact. So we bring you Meat Free Mid Week Recipes – Fragrant Lentils and Rice
- 3 tbsp ghee (you could use oil, but the ghee adds a lovely flavour and creamy texture)
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 onion (brown or red), diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1/2 lge sweet potato, diced
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 cup dried lentils (green, brown or a mix)
- 1 tin crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups vege stock
- water as needed
- Put the ghee, garlic, onion and spices into a microwave safe bowl and cook for approx. 2 minutes til ghee is melted, spices aromatic and onion softened
- Put this mix into the slow cooker.
- Add the carrot, zucchini and sweet potato.
- Add rice, lentils, chopped tomatoes, and stock.
- Stir to combine.
- Add some water to make sure the mix is covered by liquid. You may also need to add more water/ stock as the liquid is absorbed during cooking.
- Cover and cook on Automatic for approx. 3 to 4 hours, until liquid is mostly absorbed, though this time may vary depending on your slow cooker.
- Stir gently as needed during this time.
- Serve with pappadums, chopped herbs, diced avocado or natural yoghurt.
- This meal could also be made in the microwave or stovetop.
This recipe and photo is brought to us today from Eat at DixieBelle’s.
You must check her site out – she has so many delicious recipes and also has categorised all her recipes into : ELM = Eat Less Meat, V = No Meat and K = Kids! I love it!