We are all doing our bit for the environment & cutting meat out of our diet makes a huge impact. So we bring you Meat Free Mid Week Recipes – this week Tofu & Vegetable Hot Pot.
Tofu and Vegetable Hot Pot
Makes: 4 servings (serving size: 2 cups soup, 1/2 cup rice, and 1 lime wedge)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 1 tablespoon matchstick-cut peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 serrano chile, thinly sliced (if you prefer something not spicy, then skip this ingredient)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup sliced shiitake mushroom caps (about 3 ounces)
- 1/2 cup (1/4-inch-thick) diagonally cut carrot
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 (14-ounce) can light coconut milk
- 1 pound water-packed firm tofu, drained and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tomatoes, cut into 1-inch-thick wedges
- 1/2 cup torn fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup (1-inch) sliced green onions
- 2 cups hot cooked jasmine rice
- 4 lime wedges
Heat oil in a large nonstick saucepan coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add shallots; sauté 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Add ginger, turmeric, chile, and garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add cabbage, mushroom, and carrot; cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in water, soy sauce, salt, and coconut milk; bring to a boil. Add tofu. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes. Add tomato; simmer 3 minutes. Stir in basil and onions. Serve over rice with lime wedges.
This warm winter recipe is brought to you by My Recipes. I would LOVE some of this for dinner tonight! Anything to take the chill out and to curl up and eat some yummy foods!
Give the Meat Free Mid Week Recipes a try and let us know how you went or add your favourite recipes to our collection!