We are all doing our bit for the environment & cutting meat out of our diet makes a huge impact. So we bring you Meat Free Mid Week Recipes – Vegetarian Vietnamese Summer Rolls.
Vegetarian Vietnamese Summer Rolls
- 1 package (4 ounces) vermicelli rice noodles
- 8-inch spring roll wrappers
- Fresh chives (optional)
- Creamy Peanut Dipping Sauce
- Spicy Hoisin Dipping Sauce
FOR THE FILLING
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 medium carrot, cut into matchsticks (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 small cucumber, cut into matchsticks (3/4 cup)
- Pour boiling water over vermicelli rice noodles and soak 15 minutes. Drain and rinse. Divide into 8 equal portions. Fill a wide, shallow bowl with cool water. Working with one spring-roll wrapper at a time, soak until pliable, 20 seconds. Transfer to a flat surface and smooth.
- Place a layer of fillings on bottom third of wrapper, leaving a 1 1/2-inch border. Top with a portion of noodles and another layer of fillings.
- Fold bottom of wrapper tightly over fillings.
- Roll over once, tuck in sides, and finish rolling. If desired, add 3 fresh chives and continue rolling to enclose them. Transfer roll to a plate and cover with a slightly damp paper towel. Repeat to make 8 summer rolls. Serve immediately with dipping sauces, or refrigerate, up to 2 hours.
This recipe is delivered by Martha Stewart but I am sure you can change and update the recipe for your tastes! Experiment with different fresh fillings and flavour combination.
I would love to hear your versions of Vietnamese Rolls, so comment away!